Pages

Day 2: Where I'd like to be in 10 years




































The ole list for references sake.  We're on day 2 here.

I must admit that thinking about this topic makes me realize I'm going to cop out on a lot of these.  This is a particularly horrible topic.  The "where do you see yourself in 10 years" question is total interviewer material, meant to suss out whether you will devote your life to the job in question or not.

Interviewer: "aha, your greatest weakness is being too motivated and taking too much onto your plate.  How unique.  Now where do you see yourself in 10 years?"

Model Future Employee: "hmm, off the top of my head, I expect to have established myself in my career as a strong contributor, to have evolved and expanded my position wherever I may be, to continue learning and cultivating skills".


One thing I have realized about myself over the years is I really don't change very much.  Let's look back at myself 10 years ago.  I had just turned 17.  I liked...running and hiking and disneyland and eating and reading and sisters and sweets and soccer and school.  Those are still the things I like.  The only real difference between me 10 years ago and me now, is I was way more driven back then.

Me at 17, Long Jump for a track meet


17 year old roserunner: "yes I will wake up at 6am for zero period class, take 47 honors classes, play on 3 different soccer teams and come home at 5:00- 7:00 to do homework until I pass out at midnight.  And dress cute too."

I'm pretty jealous of that old ambition.  Now, I aim to be as under-extended as possible.  Sleep is one of my highest priorities.  The point of all this is to say that IN 10 YEARS, I EXPECT TO CONTINUE MY DOWNWARDS SPIRAL TOWARDS LAZINESS.  And I don't mean lazy in the physical sense, because I will always run like a nut until a knee or hip pops or whatever it is they do.  Lazy as in not wanting to "expand my contributions to my workplace" or "give birth to 3 life-invaders".  Or life enhancers, whatevs.

Aaaand, one more thing: in 10 years I better as HECK have a dog.  Or four.
Future Me: NOT networking and working hard


On to the running portion of the show: no run today, but there might be a quick 3 mile around Lake Merritt in the dark with cutie-pie-panini if he gets home before 6:00p.m.

Yesterday I went for 18 hilly miles in San Francisco before my workday began (Grad Fellow for a Law professor).  It was so foggy along the coasts that it was like a dream. A soap opera run.

2.5 hours, 6 water fountain stops, 4 pieces of gum, and 1 Tron soundtrack.