Pages

Day 8: My Most Satisfying Moment

This is a hike-less Saturday, thanks to the rain that just won't quit.  Do I talk about weather too much on this blog? Am I turning into awkward-elevator-conversation blog girl? I'll try to cool it on the weather talk.

No Hike Today :(
Although I think runners must all be obsessed with weather unless they are a treadmill kind of person.

I'm stuck inside, anticipating a fun double-date tonight with my sister at an Ethiopian restaurant in Oakland, while my boyfriend records some music (his music is awesome, but he's super-shy about sharing it, so one day we have to convince him to do a private concert).

(sidenote: he just came up to me and gave me a private concert of like 2 lyrics.  'Twas good).

Me and my older sis, at Ubuntu restaurant in Napa

If you have never experienced Ethiopian food, it is rather unique and fun.  I'll try to take a picture tonight.  It involves spongy, yeasty tasting injera wraps, which you use as your eating utensil to grab mushy delicious dishes (this is a lazy definition, based on my past experience and not wikipedia or some other fine source).

DAY 8) A MOMENT I FELT MOST SATISFIED WITH MY LIFE


This topic is literally impossible to tackle.  Can you do it? Anyone? Just ONE moment? Gimme a break.

Satisfaction.  Hm.  I mean, there are physically satisfying moments -- a great run, getting to pee after having to hold it for hours, falling into bed after a long day, a big delicious meal that had been highly anticipated.
Ahhh.  This was a big diner meal after a 3 hour run
Emotionally satisfying moments -- making a loved one proud, being told that you are loved, seeing someone receive a gift from you that they love.
Pure bliss, on vacation with Panini

I will take the leap and say that emotional satisfaction is more powerful.

In that case, one of the most satisfying moments of my life (ONE OF -- I can't pick a top), was at whatever point it was during my 23rd or 24th year when I finally grew up and had a "truce" of sorts with my Dad.

My Dad and me

Our relationship was a battlefield of power and pride throughout my teenage years, which kind of puttered out in college, but was never fully healed until we really addressed the problem during a law internship at my hometown which resulted in me living at home for 2.5 months.

Having a mature, adult, loving, relationship with him means the world to me.  It is indescribably satisfying.  I used to have trouble falling asleep sometimes, thinking about the guilt and regret I stored about not being able to express my love for him.  It's a relief to not have those concerns anymore.

He is the most brilliant, hard-working, accomplished person I know (he played football AND completed Med school at Harvard), and in addition has a great sense of humor that can put anyone at ease (he has like 50 million friends at the gym, whereas I consider myself a humanitarian for so much as smiling at someone at the gym).
My Dad, the lovely camera-man for his high-estrogen family of 4 daughters

I am so bloody thankful I have been able to know this side of him, instead of just the authoritative figure he used to be to me.  And for that, I am Most Satisfied.

RUNNING

Another treadmill rainy workout yesterday.  8.3 miles in one hour, 7:15 mile pace, more or less like this:

Minutes                    Pace MPH
1-5                           7.7
5-10                         8.0
10-15                       8.1
15-20                       8.2
20-25                       8.3
25-30                       8.4
30-35                       8.5
35-50                       8.6
50-60                       8.5

Felt OK.  I think my body is quickly getting used to the treadmill.

I won't beckon you with a question here, but please, comment away!