Pages

Work it

It's kind of strange that I write so much about running -- something that takes up about 10% of my day -- but I never say much about work, which consumes over 50% of my (awake) day.


Casual Friday...I'm allowed to have messy hair.

I am a fairly new lawyer.  I've been working at my firm for 7-8 weeks now, and by the graces of some incredible luck and a boss who really trusts me, I have already been able to do many things that an associate at a huge firm might wait years to have a shot at doing.

My 2nd day of work...my how things have changed!! (Not.  I still sit at that desk taking pictures of myself with my phone).


The following is a list of a few of the tasks I've conquered thus far:

  • represented a client twice (all by myself!) at a Case Management Conference in Federal Court.
  • Attended a site inspection (this included hiking to a beautiful part of Sunol to view the location of an oil pipe burst).
  • Drafted a Request For Production of Documents; a Motion for Dismissal; multiple Declarations of Custodian of Record; an Amended Cross-Complaint
  • Done some sleuthing at the San Francisco Department of Building Inspections, and the San Francisco Planning Department
  • Attended a meeting with another firm to take over their client (due to conflict of interest)
  • Prepared for a Deposition (in the process of this)
  • Become the office weirdo who doesn't eat meat, doesn't drink coffee, turns downs donuts at 9:00 a.m., and runs 20 miles before arriving in the morning 
    • there is now a running joke in the office where when someone has to step out, they say "I'll be back, just going for a quick 20 miler.
  • Become the office supplier of tootsie-pops.  
    • I stuck a couple of my spare stash in the front-desk candy bowl, and they went like hot cakes.  So I bought a 100-count box at Costco, and that lasted about 2 weeks.  This is a high-sugar office.
  • Apparently learned to think/write/blog in bullet points
  • Made my blog readers fall asleep while reading what is basically a resume.
I feel really lucky that I'm not just pushing papers behind the scene, and that I'm actually getting to see a courtroom or a client so early in my career.

This job was very unexpected.  At the time that I landed it, I had been searching for work for over 3 months after passing the Bar exam, and was seriously considering stepping outside the legal field--it just seemed to be such a dead career in the Bay Area.

I had an opportunity for a non-legal government job in my hometown of Napa that I pondered over for a hot minute.  I was also thinking about jumping ship and getting into the fitness industry somehow. 

I wonder if this is the job for me.  I doubt I'll every know what the PERFECT job for me is.  At various times in my life I thought the perfect job for me was:

  • Astronaut
  • CIA agent
  • Soccer player
  • Movie or Restaurant Critic
  • Journalist
  • Physical Trainer
  • Lobbyist
  • Grand Canyon Park Ranger
Who here has the PERFECT job for them?  If you don't, what is your dream job?


RUNNING

I ran on the treadmill this morning, because it is the only way I know how to really pace myself, and I wanted to run at a steady pace to prep myself for what my marathon goal pace should feel like.

1.0 incline (I always do this)
5 minutes warmup
10 minutes at 8.0 mph
40 minutes at 8.3 mph
5 minutes at 8.8 mph

I thought the 8.3 pace felt really comfortable, which was encouraging.  I think that was somewhere near a 7:15 pace.

My left hip felt tight again near the end...this seems to be happening when I run at a faster range.  Any suggestions? I will continue to stretch it.