Pages

Not Boring

My favorite part of blogging so far, is growing close to people very far away.

The beautiful, speedy, generous Pam

Pam, who is over 300 miles away in southern California, brightened my weekend by sending this to my door:




Ding Ding Ding!  See's Lollypops, in my TWO FAVORITE flavors: butterscotch and vanilla.

Along with a sweet card, and these rich, dense, chewy and above all DIVINE chocolate-covered-caramels.  I ate one within 15 minutes of receiving the package, and immediately remembered why See's is so stellar.

See's really excels in all things caramely/ butterschotch-y/ maple-y.  So good.  THANK YOU PAM!!!

I don't have anything great planned to discuss today, so it's going to end up being kind of a blah weekend recap -- which is sad because recently, when Page was asking for reader advice on how to keep her blog excellent, I recommended she stay away from daily recaps.  They are usually pretty take-it-or-leave-it.

So you can take this post or leave it, I won't mind.

Friday night, the Gentleman and I threw food into our mouths as fast as possible after work in order to make it to the 7:00 p.m. showing of Super 8 at our neighborhood theatre.

Wish I lived through the 70's.


Sidenote: our neighborhood theater, the Grand Lake Theater, is the best one to exist, ever.  A guy plays an organ for new movies on the big screen.  It looks like an opera-house inside.  It is such a rad place.

I live 2 blocks from this!

And this is the inside.  See the organ down there!?


We both went to the movie not knowing ANYTHING about it.  We just trusted that with J.J. Abrams name, it would be worth the trip.

I advise everyone to do the same.  Close your ears to anything about this movie -- in fact, do this for all movies -- and then go see it.  Having no expectations is SO good.

All I will say is I don't remember ever screaming in a movie theater before.  That evening, I think I screamed 3 or 4 times.

Saturday, I ran 18.15 miles, and decided I am the only person in Northern California who really loves that it doesn't feel like Summer.  I hate long runs in warm weather.  It can stay 65 the whole summer and I will be very happy.

My run felt great, I am a huge fan of the Asic Cumulus 12's.  I hope they are called that because it is like running on a cloud.



Then we went to the City (San Francisco) where my mom was having an open house for an apartment she is renting (that she inherited) in the Noe Valley neighborhood.  It's very San Francisco, with long hallways and old fashioned everything.

BART-ing to the City.  The freakin arm pose rears it's ever-present head


After spending some time in the City in Noe Valley and then in SoMa to stop at Costco, I remembered immediately why I hate the city.

It is just so, unbearably, suffocatingly crowded.  It makes Oakland feel like a small quaint town in comparison.

Too many people, too many strollers, too many cars, too many lines, too many beggars....

I obviously wouldn't survive in India or China.  The only times I am cool with crowds is when I'm at Disneyland or a race expo, in which case the crowds are party of the excitement.

Oh wait, did you need extra proof that I'm a boring old lady besides my aversion to crowded, stimulating cities? Well read ahead.

After watching a couple of Mad Men episodes (we are starting over with the 1st season, because it is that worth it), we did the unthinkable.

We spent Saturday night.  At a laundromat.

Our apartment, the one time a year ago we didn't have enough quarters for the dryer


hahaha.  the life of poor law students.

It's ok.  I'm comfortable with my loser-essness.

Sunday: 4 miles of sprint intervals

They felt sooooooo sweet today.  Just one of those runs where you feel like you are flying, having an out of body experience because you feel no pain.  It felt effortless.  I had to make myself stop after 13 sprints because I wasn't reaching a point of exhaustion like I normally do after the 10th sprint or so.

Then lunch with the Gentleman's family at this Mac & Cheese place I mentioned before.

the Gentleman declared this the best milkshake in the history of the world (maybe).  It was strawberry flavored. He has had many-a-milkshake in his day, so his milkshake opinion is worth considering.

Thick blob of fresh whipped cream


I shared a few sips, and agreed that it was stellar -- it was clearly made with actual fresh strawberries, and tasted like strawberries instead of the artificial strawberry flavor that we are used to ice cream tasting like.

And now, at this moment Sunday evening, I'm dying my dark-brown roots blond with a $2.50 dye box (Clairol or something).  I'll never understand women who spend $100+, several times a year, on hair.  It's HAIR.  So boring.  My hair bores me at least.

I kind of half-assed the application process because I was so bored with touching my hair (really, 12 seconds of brushing per day is enough for me), and decided this is the last time I'm dying it blonde.

Can I get some support or disapproval?  Keep it blonde or go a new route?  My natural color is a darker brown.  I think.  I haven't seen my real color since my early teens (red --> brown with blonde highlights --> black --> red --> blonde).

17 years old, long jumping, as close to my natural color as it gets
Talk to me: can you handle big city crowds? does hair maintenance bore you? Did you have any awesome runs this weekend or see a good movie?