Pages

Day 6, Montana Wedding....and the Worst Run Ever.

I was informed by Briana that a nurse may be my dream job, because they aren't allowed to sit. 

I know the grass is always greener though.  If I was a nurse, the stress, tolerating patients, and running around all day and night during 3:00 a.m. shifts would surely have me wishing I had a desk job. 

I even had a great day working on Saturday anyway.  I attended a really successful meeting with someone outside our firm, and was praised for my work....I'm such a sucker for compliments, I really live for them. 

Nothing makes me glow more than a genuine compliment.  I can ride on it for a week.  Which hopefully means I won't whine about work for at least a week.

Saturday, June 2, 2011

The Wedding Day!!

Despite staying out a tad late at the Montana bar (we were in bed around 1:00 a.m.), I was set on getting a run in before our 9:00 a.m. day of bridal party primping began.

I had dreamy visions of running along silent roads, green fields, and an endless sky -- I was really looking forward to running at least once or twice while in Montana.

In reality, my running vision was of holding my breath through clouds of mosquitoes, mystifying the heck out of a few hundred cows, and cursing the never-ending road for not having any water fountains or 7-11's.


Here is how it went down.

I planned on running up this road, which really went forever and ever, for 4 miles and then turning around for a total of 8 miles, which typically takes me just about exactly one hour.

The run started out rather well -- the elevation was still affecting me and I could tell my heart-rate was faster than normal, but no big deal. 

First, the bugs were unreal.  I did have to hold my breath a few times, and kept hoping as the road left the creekside that they would calm down.   Instead, they seemed to calm down as the sun continued to rise.

I knew that because of my sunscreen and my sweat that the bugs were sticking to me, but I had no idea HOW many until I arrived home at our hosts home, where the 5 people finishing up breakfast looked at me in horror and disgust.

My chest and neck had more surface area covered by little black dots than not.  Ick.  I jumped in the shower, and later had to warn the hairdresser not to be alarmed if she found bugs in my hair.

The bugs, however, were NOT the worst part of the run.

If you've been reading for a while, you know that running has been a pastime of mine for long enough that 20 miles before breakfast doesn't really make me bat an eye.  You may even know that it is very rare (only on vacations, while doing sprint intervals, or while tapering) for me to run less than, oh about 12 miles on a given run.

Which is why I felt stunned and concerned to find that 5 miles into my run, I had to run/walk the remaining three miles.  

I would run for 3-4 minutes, walk for 30 seconds, etc etc.

I truly have no idea what was going on.  I was pretty damn thirsty, which I didn't expect since I knew it would only be an hour run.

The first 4 miles had been smooth sailing -- I was hitting 7:30 minute miles.  Then when I turned around for the 4 miles back, I realized there had been a slight decline for much of those miles out.  Of course, that mean a slight incline for the way back.  It hit me hard.

Plus the elevation.  Plus drinking the night before.  Plus recovering from the flu (although I thought I was recovered).  Plus not sleeping enough.

It was a very humbling run.  For the first time, I understood why some people must HATE running.  It was miserable.  I felt like I was carrying bricks.

And that is the story of the first time I have ever had to walk during a run.

Off to the rest of the big day!

A wonderful woman patiently did the hair of all 4 bridesmaids, 3 little flower girls, and the bride, from 9:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m.

Don't be too jealous of my 'do





We also leisurely did make-up, got sentimental, and tried to figure out how to each wear our wrap dresses.

I chose a pretty simple style for the dress, and I let the hairdresser decide on a side bun.

Oh, and my Prada plastic bag.

I love the eggplant color.  And the way you can totally tell I'm bra-less.

Then we whisked the bride away to the site of the ceremony, which was a breathtaking ranch in the middle of a valley surrounded by snow-capped mountains and a rushing river.  



The ceremony was lovely.



The dog was an unexpected obstacle
Photo Courtesy of Mery Donald Photographics






Courtesy of Mery Donald Photographics
Courtesy of Mery Donald Photographics


All done

I adore this.  The colors make me giddy.  A wonderful bridesmaid and me



Courtesy of Mery Donald Photographics

The reception was unforgettable.  I don't have any pictures of it to share, as our "camera", the Gentleman's iphone, died.

It is hard to top a wedding in the canvas of Montana.  I was so thrilled to be included in this weekend.  It all seems like a dream now...


Have you ever been a part of an extremely memorable wedding?


What's the worst run you've ever been on -- whether because of bugs, or sheer discomfort, or...