Pages

I Just Heard Amy Winehouse Died, and I Don't Care

Re: the title of this post, unless it was death by murder, I'm lacking any sympathy.  I'm sure a few dozen people made money off her death, as it was a pretty easy one to bet on.

Now that I've momentarily been heartless, I'll get lovey and mushy on you. 

Within twelve hours after publishing my last post -- which was full of random thoughts, one of which was excitement about my older sister nearing her birth due-date -- my niece Gemma was born.








Gemma was born at 7:19 a.m. on Wednesday, July 20.  7 pounds, 21 inches.

I got a text from my mom at 5:00 a.m. that my sister was in labor.  Then a text at 7:30 a.m. with a picture of Gemma, minutes old.

My heart soared! She looked so familiar to me.  She looked exactly like family.

Then all day at work on Wednesday, and all day at work on Thursday, and ALL day at work on Friday, I felt suffocated and stifled that I was 90 minutes away from my newest family member and I was missing her first few days on earth.

My mom continued to send me text pictures [see: the poor quality pictures above] and my jealousy flared.

Fuck work.  Seriously.  My boss left at 3:30 p.m. on Thursday to go to his dad's birthday.  But because I was assigned the task of drafting several hundred discovery responses under a deadline, I had to miss the action during an incredibly significant day(s) of my family's life.

My parents are first time grandparents, and obviously over the moon.  My sister is a mother.  I want to be THERE!

So now I am heading to Napa to meet her.  I almost couldn't fall asleep last night I was so excited.  I hope she will be my best friend.





RUNNING
Mondaynone
Tuesday: 12.3
Wednesday: 14
Thursday: 12.5
Friday: none
Saturday: 17.6

nothing notable to share about these runs.  I took them pretty easy. 

I got sick of running in circles around Lake Merritt, which is normally where I do my flat fast running, so these four runs were all in hillier neighborhoods.  And slow.

I am slowly devouring "Born to Run" by Christopher MacDougal.  When I really love a book, I savor it.  No you don't know what I mean -- I've been reading this book since Christmas of 2010.  I'm on page 72.  I read 5-10 pages every couple weeks. 



Another book I LOVE, "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through The Looking Glass," has been on my nightstand for 2.5 years.  I'm less than halfway through.

Anyway, point is I wanted to mention an excerpt from "Born to Run" that really caught my attention. 

I admittedly never pay attention to the professional sport of running (I've heard of Ryan Hall, but frankly don't really care to learn about him -- and I wouldn't know Kara Goucher if Runners World didn't plaster her on every issue), but a woman was mentioned in the book.  I was shocked by her feats, and shocked I had never heard more about her.

Ann Trason.



"One Saturday, Ann got up early and ran twenty miles.  She relaxed over breakfast, then headed back out for twenty more.  She had some plumbing chores around the house, so after finishing run No. 2, she hauled out her toolbox and got to work.  By the end of the day, she was pretty pleased with herself; she'd run forty miles and taken care of a messy job on her own.  So as a reward, she treated herself to another fifteen miles."  [p.68, Born to Run]

I'm pulling up the Ann Trason card next time someone tells me I'm crazy for running 20 miles before work. 

By the way: she ran sixty-two miles at a 6:44 pace.  Is your mind blown?

Would you be able to skip work if a sibling had just given birth?

Do you pay attention to professional runners, and have you heard of Ann Trason?