Pages

More than A Feeling

So I heard it's time to register for Boston.

Every now and then, someone asks me if I'm planning on registering, or they ask me why I haven't run it yet.

I've qualified for the thing every year since 2006, but not once have I seriously considered running it.

Am I crazy if I go my whole life without running Boston?  Because I think there is a very real chance that I won't.  I don't see what could change my current mindset to make me one day think that the trip is worth it.

Boston is a fantastic city.  I've been there twice with my Dad.  So while it seems fun to make it a destination race where I could explore the city, it seems like a really, really bad weekend to be on "vacation" in Boston.



The city that weekend in April is saturated with runners and running excitement.  I don't know what this says about me and my sense of belonging in the running "community," but that sounds like a really, really sucky vacation.

There is seriously such a thing as too much running-community-energy.  I like certain things about expos, but my stomach turns when I see hundreds of other runners with their nerdy gear and their exuberant conversations with the people at the Gu booth.




Running for me always has been, and always will be,  very strongly associated with my alone time.  It is an isolated sport (if you want it to be).  Aside from the occasional run with the Gentleman and my....one run with other bloggers, running is as close as I get to meditating and to solitude.

Seeing massive packs of runners -- whether it is at Expos, at races, or what I imagine the entire city of Boston to be like that weekend in April -- really warps the sport to the point where it becomes an entirely different sport in my mind.  That's not necessarily a bad thing.

So for me, there is running...the sport where I can burrow in my head, and do whatever my legs want, think about heavy stuff or about nothing at all.   Then there is Running....the sport where I focus hard and become part of a herd, and share compliments or encouragement or tips about Gu.

This blog is a nice combination of the two.  It allows me to be a part of the running community, without having to enter a large and intimating crowd of people who suffocate the sport for me.  And still share tips, encouragement, compliments, etc.

In my own little world...keeping a distance from the crowds


To sum this up, Boston celebrates the side of Running that I kind of dread.  Maybe I don't like sharing my sport that intensely.  Maybe I'm too cheap to spend $1k on something I can do in my city for $100.

Either way, I'm skipping Boston for the foreseeable future.  Maybe, like motherhood, I'll end up doing it just out of fear of missing out.

And just in case you didn't get the title of this post:




Who is signing up?  Who thinks I'm a little brat for belittling Boston when some people devote their life to qualifying?