Pages

The Rich Life

After last week's treadmill speed workout, I entered this week with the promise that I would accomplish another treadmill speed workout on Wednesday.

Like Marathons, many things seem easier in hindsight than they actually were. 

I thought to myself, "if 5 minute intervals at a 9.5-10.0 mph speed was so easy, this week I will do 6 minutes per interval."

My plan was:
  • incline at 1.0
  • 4 minutes at 7.0 mph
  • 6 minutes at 9.6 pmh (6:15 minute mile pace)
  • repeat for full hour -- 6 total repetitions.

I really did convince myself this would be easy, since I remembered the 9.6 speed feeling like a piece of cake compared to the 10.0 speed. 

Dudes: it wasn't easy.

I stuck to my plan, teeth gritted, and with a headache from my rubber-headband thing

Check out the blue headband


I've been trying to stretch out my new bunch of Goody headbands for a year, but they still give me a headache from being too tight.  And my head is pretty small.

I cranked the incline down to 0.5 at the 50 minute point.  I dangled that carrot to keep on going, telling myself when it got TOO HARD I could take the incline down a notch.

After the hour, I ran 20 more comfortably slow minutes, with the occasional 1 minute pick-up at the same 9.6 speed. 

My shin splints started hurting at that point, and although I feel 100% fine today, I have some shoe issues.

I'm on the hunt for something new.  I promise to never go minimalist on you (vibrams, go away.)  But as I try to increase my speed, I realize that my clunkier, cushiony shoes are holding me back.  I feel like I might trip when I try and sprint in them.

I came to this realization after doing some runs in the "lighter" shoes below.  I don't even know if they are running shoes.  My mom gave them to me after she bought them to teach aerobics in, and decided she didn't like them.   They are called Dual Fusion ST.



My feet are fans of Saucony's (but I hated the first Kinvara's) and Asics.  Any suggestions for a shoe that can handle a marathon, but is built light enough for speed? I really lack shoe knowledge.  Help.

Transitioning.

I haven't talked about work in a while because it freaks me out to think that one of my co-workers would ever find this blog. 


Fake Happy to be at work

I think it's 100% safe to say that they never go on the internet though, since my boss has never heard of Sasha Fierce, and another partner took a guess as to who was hot on the music charts these days: he guessed Moby.  It's ok, nerds are in right now.

Whether they find the internet or not, I have a word about work.

We had a marketing event yesterday.  It was from 3:00-8:00 p.m.  It was rather lovely -- at a gorgeous winery, with good food and endless wine.

The event had a marketing expert lead a discussion/presentation, the summary of which was: in order to reach your greatest goals in business, you need to have a plan.  The plan needs to be written down.  The plan needs to be followed up on regularly, and adjusted when necessary. 

Then a co-presenter handed out an example of a written plan outline.  It included gems such as "eat breakfast, lunch, or dinner with one business contact every day."  "Once a day, cold-call a potential client."  "Join the local Chamber of Commerce and the city's leadership group."

At the bottom of the plan was a list of "Things Not to Do."
My eye zoomed in to one of the not-to-do's.  I read it 3 times.  I sighed with pity at the idiots who waste their lives as a slave to money and their jobs.

NOT TO DO:
"Arrive at work after 8:00 a.m. 
Leave work before 6:00 p.m."

That's right.  The shining example of how to be a successful person is to never, ever, not for one single day, work less than 10 hours.

Here is what my master plan would read under the category "Things Not to Do."
  • Ruin my relationship by devoting my life to work
  • Destroy my family life by staying late every night
  • Cease to have a social life so I can sit in my office
  • Run less just to be in the office at 8:00 a.m. every day
  • Generally be unhappy so I can increase my earning potential

I swear, if someone told me all I had to do to make a guaranteed $1,000,000 a year for the next 40 years was work 60 hour work-weeks, it would be an extremely easy choice to turn it down.  It astounds me that people value being rich more than having a rich life.  And my only definition of a rich life is maximizing time spent with those you love, and maximizing time spent exploring -- exploring nature, exploring your city, exploring books and information, and exploration while traveling. 

I know I've blabbered about this before.  But I work in a field where bragging about late nights in the office is the norm.  And that "perfect plan" just re-ignited my shock at what people value.  Most lawyers are so smart, but my goodness can they be stupid.