Pages

You Know What I Mean?

I hope this doesn't appear as though I'm bombarding you with chain mail.

The following is a partially adapted, partially revised list of things that I found Highly Relate-able (how is relateable not a word?).   These made me laugh and enjoy the truth of these thoughts that I didn't realize were true until I read them.

Truisms:
  • I totally take back all those times I didn't want to nap when I was younger
I used to lay on the "nap mats" in pre-school with one eye open, pretending to sleep.  Never fell asleep.  I wish I had a nap mat in my office.

I could totally lie in a tent all day

  • There is great need for a sarcasm font
  • How the hell are you supposed to fold a fitted sheet?
Good enough for me

  • Google Maps really needs to start their directions on #5.  I'm pretty sure I know how to get out of my neighborhood.
  • Obituaries would be a lot more interesting if they told you how the person died.
  • I can't remember the last time I wasn't at least kind of tired. (See: the very first thought)
  • I'm always slightly terrified when I exit out of Word and it asks me if I want to save any changes to my thirty-page research paper that I swear I did not make any changes to.
  • I hate when I just miss a call by the last ring (Hello? Hello? **** it!), but when I immediately call back, it rings nine times and goes to voice mail.  What did you do after I didn't answer? Drop the phone and run away?
CUTE.  and kind of irrelevant.  Sorry.
  • I think the freezer deserves a light as well.
  • Sometimes, I'll watch a movie that I watched when I was younger and suddenly realize I had no idea what the heck was going on when I first saw it.  (And no idea how bad it was.)  
I used to watch "The Client" all the time when I was like 11 because I had such a major crush on Brad Renfro.  No idea what it was about.

  • How many times is it appropriate to say "What?" before you just nod and smile because you still didn't hear or understand a word they said?

Faking it

  • I love the sense of camaraderie when an entire line of cars team up to prevent a jerk from cutting in at the front.  Stay strong, brothers and sisters!
  • Shirts get dirty.  Underwear gets dirty.  Pants? Pants never get dirty, and you can wear them forever.
  • Do high school kids get dumber & dumber every year?
If you've read just one prior post of mine, you could probably guess that I hate this show.  I'm bitter like that.

  • As a driver I hate pedestrians, and as a pedestrian (or runner) I hate drivers, but no matter what the mode of transportation, I always hate bicyclists.
  • Sometimes I'll look down at my watch 3 consecutive times and still not know what time it is.
  • Even under ideal conditions people have trouble locating their car keys in a pocket, finding their cell phone, and Pinning the Tail on the Donkey -- but I'd bet my *** everyone can find and push the snooze button from 3 feet away, in about 1.7 seconds, eyes closed, first time, every time!

Those thoughts are the highlight of this post, but I'll also share a brief running recap since I haven't in a while.

Tuesday:     none
Wednesday: 11
Thursday:  16
Friday:      3.5
Saturday: 19.8
Sunday:    17.7
Monday:   none
Tuesday:   17.3

I feel myself slowing down.  Ever since playing soccer two weekends ago I haven't felt that speed in my legs (except for Friday's 3.5 -- that run felt great). 

I need to force myself to get on a treadmill as soon as it isn't 100 degrees in my gym, where it is always 15 degrees hotter in there than it is outside, because that is the only way I really push it and gain speed.

As I feel I am in a slow funk, I'm planning on finding a half marathon in October to reinvigorate my desire to run the California International Marathon.  Sad but true: I won't especially want to run the marathon (time, money, and tapering) if I'm not feeling at least somewhere in the 3:10 arena.  Ideally, I wouldn't run it unless I was actually in the realm of earning a PR.  But I really don't smell a PR this time, so 3:10 range will do. 

Which of those thoughts rings especially true to you? Have you heard them before, and I'm just late to the chain-mail game?

Do you recommend any Bay Area half marathons in the next 6 weeks?  I have some great options that Aron has suggested, but I'd love to hear more advice.