Pages

$100 Recovery Drink

Going with the theme of "100" for the week...I'll get to the title later in this post.

I did not expect to get many comments expressing amazement/support for my 100-mile week. 

I was expecting a few "yeesh, you're going to get injured", or "you're plain crazy, foo"

Keep in mind, sharing my mileage is still relatively new for me.  Before this blog, I put in a decent amount of effort to hide how much I ran.  I was embarrassed to meet friends for lunch and tell them I had just been running for 2 hours....although in hindsight I should have fessed up so that they understood why I ate all my plate, and then pulled the old "so....are you finishing that? no? Can I have it!?" -- annnnd, already halfway down my throat. 

Even though I didn't get any such injury-threat comments, I do want to point out that I would never have hit that number if it was uncomfortable.  In some ways, I am a wimp.  I really don't push past my comfort zone that often -- so I hit 100 miles because it was comfortable.  That's a great thing! I think it means I'm doing something right in preparing for a marathon.

(In full disclosure, the week probably would have been 98 miles if I was solely basing it on comfort.  But I pushed my Sunday run from the 15-16 I would have preferred to 18, because duh.  Who wants to run 98 miles in a week when they can run 100?)

And yes dudes, I worked a full week.  46 hours, not including my commute, not including lunch breaks (....cause I don't take lunch breaks).   Remember that after accounting for sleep, there are 17 hours in a day.  I rarely work more than 10 of those.  It's easy for me, a non-parent, to find 2 hours in that spare 6-7 hours to run.

THE $100 BOTTLE OF WINE

As you can imagine, or as you may experience yourself, lots of running means lots of eating.  This past week included some great, blog-worthy dishes.

First.

To reward the Gentleman for being a super-star through the "busy extension season" in the tax world, his employer told him to go big at a nice restaurant and that they would foot the bill.

Go big we did.

He refused to allow camera flash in the dim restaurant

Saturday night at Flora restaurant in Oakland


$100 bottle of wine  !!!!!


Stoked.  The wine works

This sip cost $4

This one, $3.57

On to the food.

I actually ate all this.  I didn't run 20+ miles, and then order a dry salad while allotting myself 2 of my man's fries like, ahem, some dainty ladies in my Google Reader feed.   When I run that much, I obey my hunger.   Fried food and desserts are welcome with open arms.


Burrata with stuff that is in the way of Burrata.  Buratta is Mozzarella cheese with extra cream in the middle.


Calamari with cream stuff

I'm sorry for the bad photo, but wined as I was, this is how my fish dish looked.

The Gentleman got some pork thing which was supposedly great.

Then, satisfied but not stuffed, and past the 2.5 glasses of wine point, I started to get embarrassed and nervous about whether I could stand up to go to the bathroom.


How do I GET UP!?

All these chairs....between me and the bathroom....I have no chance


 So to muster up the courage, we ordered an strong Irish coffee.  That means whiskey.



And then.  We had.  The most delicious dessert thine tongue haveth ever tasteth.

Be aware, I'm a chocolate non-appreciator.  When it comes to dessert, I go for caramel or white chocolate, and preferably with whipped cream and some salt.   Nuts are cool, fruit usually isn't.

Salted Caramel Pudding with Whipped Cream.

It was like pure caramel.  I will never be able to eat a nasty Jello caramel pudding pack again.

Soon enough we were asleep, and then awake, and we were hungry for breakfast.

Where to fuel Sunday morning, for an unplanned18 miles later in the morning?

Our new neighborhood breakfast joint, Kitchen 388.

Baked eggs with basil.


And this really, freaking perfect Biscuit. 






It was like a KFC biscuit (that's a good thing in my mind) on snobby great-ingredient patrol.

Do you watch your diet when you run (or bike/swim/hike/etc) a lot?

If the answer is yes.....eh, I don't really want to hear about it.  Tell me about how you go to town to fuel your activity.