Pages

That's Numberwang!

Hey!  I know most people won't get the reference in the title, but for those who do, cheers.

Now.  That last post was fantastic -- thanks for engaging in the comments guys!

If anyone failed to peek at the contributions to a discussion of Daily Mile from my last post, I will recap here, and I will use NUMBERS since I learned that most of you LOVE numbers/graphs/charts :)

[numbers made up by me, but also 100% precise and accurate]

  • About 86% of those who commented USE Daily Mile (total surprise to me -- I thought it was a smaller deal)  
  • of those, 91% use it because you love the numbers/graphs/charts.  
  • 7% like meeting people through Daily Mile.  
  • And 2% think I should STFU because people who want praise for every daily run should be allowed to get it.  No problem by me, I wasn't planning on shutting the site down, with all my lawyer-ly resources and such....

Anyway.  I love the spark of discussion that sometimes happens in the comment section of blogs.

Now I know we've got a bunch of number nerds in the house!

I can kind of understand that, because I love my Garmin running watch (although only for time/pace/distance).  Still, I  don't plan any runs nor do I track past runs besides penciling in a rounded mile number into my desk calendar, which is mostly exciting so that next December 31st, I can see how many times I ran to the East Coast and back (approximately once, in 2011).

I like seeing good hard run numbers


Does anyone else just run to RUN? Without the charting and graphing and planning? Run freeee!?

While we're talking about numbers, I have two other significant number-based things to share.

1) This entire week so far, Monday through Thursday, I have been home and awake for a total of about 3 hours.  That is to say I have been at work until just before my bedtime.  This is disgusting.  I hate it.  I will never take it for granted again when I get to leave the office before 7:00!

2) 9.27 miles in one hour.

I'm too tired to say anything clever about this, but man, I had a killer treadmill run this morning before a long-ass mind-sucking day at work.  Tempo workout #3 in my lifetime.

Workout:
1.0 incline
Warm-up at 8.4 mph (7:08 min/mile) for 3 minutes
9.5 mph (6:18 min/mile) for 2 miles
9.4 mph (6:23 min/mile) for 2 miles
9.3 mph (6:27 min/mile) for 2 miles
9.2 mph (6:31 min/mile) for 2 miles
9.1 mph (6:36 min/mile) for last 7 minutes.

After the full hour, I bumped the speed down to 8.5 (7:03 min/mile) for 30 minutes, which felt surprisingly slow and comfy after busting through an hour at 9.1-9.5 paces.

And somehow, I watched the treadmill numbers hit 1:27:02 at the same time that the distance hit 13.1 miles.

What. The. Hell.  Did I just accidentally kinda sorta PR in the half-marathon on a flipping treadmill?

I have run a faster half marathon, but it was on a short course (1:26:29 in about 13.00 miles by my watch).  This can't be right!  Why am I running faster in my 6:00 a.m. zombie state with a stiff hip than on a race course!?

I always thought treadmills were harder than running outside, but now I feel like I'm tricking myself.  I guess I'll have to wait until the Oakland Half Marathon at the end of March to see where I really stand...

That's Numberwang!  (Now you can all be in on the joke)



Have you ever PR'd during a workout?