Pages

Nothing to See Here

Ohmygosh, I LOVE/hate the track! I snuck back over to the nearby high school track this morning because I was still dreaming of how fun the 10x400m workout I did last Thursday was.

I had booked about 6 miles by the time I arrived at the track, and because I am wimpy I told myself I wasn't going to do a legit track workout; I was just going to "try" one small thing out.  What I wanted to try out was one or two 800's, because I have heard a lot about this magical workout called "Yasso 800's" and I wanted to gradually ease my way into it.

Most of you probably know what Yasso 800's are, because it is one of those things that I have seen on runner blogs and in Runners World 50 times, but never cared to understand because I tend to gloss over "training plans" or "workouts".   But now that my brain actually gets the connection between "speed workouts" and "faster race times", I think I would kindly like to join the club.

Short story: Yasso 800's means you do 8-to-12 repeats in the time, in minutes, that you aim to run a marathon in, but in hours.   I want to run my next marathon in 2:59 (just under three hours) or less, so I would need to run 8-to-12 800m's in 2:59 minutes, which is a 5:58 pace.  Recover for the same amount of time.

Ok.  Ease into it.  I haven't run an "800" in, ever, so I knew today wasn't going to be 8 repeats.  I headed out for two laps at a pace that felt fast, but I had no idea what kind of pace it was.

First one: 2:53.  Not so bad, feeling ok, maybe I can do 5 of these?

Second one: 2:54.  Ummmm....I feel like death.  I think I'm doing these too fast.

Third one: 2:52.   Eff this.  Running hurts.  I can't breeeaathe. 

So I did three 800s, way too fast for my current capability, and couldn't convince myself to do any more.  It was the second lap of each 800 that was killing me.  So, aha! I compromised with myself that I would just do a few 400m's and thereby avoid that second lap.

I did four 400m, whipping out:  85, 84, 82, 80.   THOSE felt good.  After 800m, 400m seems so manageable.

*****

The ever present buttcrease issue felt pretty much fine during this track workout, but I'm still focused on making it disappear for good.  Besides pigeon-posing, I finally bucked up and did this at work today:


Now I can stand at work!  Which a physical therapist recommended to me.  I ended up putting a third box up for the mouse. Real professional...

I worked like this from about 3:45 p.m. until 7:00 p.m..  It felt fantastic at first, but then by 6:30 my wrist was hurting (the mouse positioning felt all wrong) and the heels of my feet were burning.  I think I need to wear good flat shoes if I'm going to keep this up.  And take some sit breaks.

*****

Yesterday I had some dental work done with my favorite dentist ever (I really admire her, I can't explain it) in Napa.   While my face felt like it was half melting from novocaine, I made silly faces at my cute niece.   And she made them right back

this was her Easter 'fit.

I'm sorry that's all I have to say today.  I can't think straight, all I have on my mind is the FULL WEEK up ahead which will consist of just me, the guy that makes my heart melt, and the natural beauty of Utah.  Plus one day gluttony in Vegas.  I'm going to go burrow my nose in the books I grabbed from the library on must-do hikes in Zion...