Pages

Rainbow Runner

The following important things have been happening.

1) July 20th was national lollipop day.  I didn't know.  See's Candy built a 7,000 pound lollipop--in the Bay Area!  I also didn't know.   Too bad it is chocolate flavored, because if it was butterscotch, I would have hired a crane and discreetly stolen it for my personal usage as a lifetime supply.

source


I could handle that.

2) My niece turned One! This really makes me realize that I have been blogging for a long time, because I remember when my niece was born and I was putting her cute newborn face up on the blog.

Gemma....so much more mature than a 10 month old

It was a hot day in Napa, perfect for her first (of probably many) water-themed birthday.  Being a July baby and all.

Newsflash: her face is still cute.

And I wore the same dress to her birthday that I wore to her baby shower, if anyone recognizes my dress.  If you are a celebrity, it might sound gross to hear this...but...I re-wear all of my clothes.

Birthday Song.

All photos courtesy of my sister-in-law, Crystal

3) Running: some easy longer runs on the weekend, and several failed attempts to do speed work this week.

I cannot do speed workouts if I haven't slept well.  And I haven't.  Various things have been going on that have kept my mind buzzing at 2:00, 3:00, 4:00 in the morning. 

I have one solution for getting a speedier session in this week.  I'm trying to get a free entry for the San Francisco Marathon's "second" half-marathon, since I recently learned that they waive the fee for women who have run a sub-1:30 half marathon.  I missed the deadline to apply for a free entry, wish I had known about this...if anyone knows who I can contact, let me know! The race is this Sunday.

4)  Kari (Hi!) spotted something for me this week that reminded me to get pumped for CIM.  It is a video, made by CIM, from last years race.  I'm huffing and puffing into the finishers chute, at about the 2:33 mark of the video at this link.

 http://vimeo.com/45676160

The clip juxtaposes my finish with the woman who WON the race, which is hilarious, because the film cut kind of makes it seem like I crossed the finish line shortly after the woman who ran a 2:30.  Nice.

I was looking at the CIM registration page recently, and noticing that I had a few days remaining until the registration fee changed from $105 to $125.

Then I looked at the scale for fees.  If you are a super early bird, registering 9 months before the race, you pay $85 (which really is a great deal for a large--and one of the best--marathons).   If you are a late bird and register 2 months before the race (is that really even late!?), you pay $145.  $60 dollar difference! That's no joke.

I have never, ever registered for a race more than 2 months before the race.  I have registered for many races the day before, or the morning of.

What this means is that:
a) I will probably never run a race that requires super early registration (Boston, Big Sur, New York, and these days, the Napa Marathon); and
b) I will always pay more for races than people who can apparently see into their future and know whether they will be injured and/or interested in running a marathon in 9 months.  Who are you people??

5) I don't receive flowers very often...and when I do, I go overboard by taking 3,000 pictures of them.  I LOVE flowers.  And to state the obvious, I love roses.

But this....this was beyond my wildest imagination.

This is for real.  Roses that transported here from an '80's music video.

Blooming!  I have to figure out how to make this my new blog wallpaper ;)

I'll share who sent them, and why I received them, soon enough.  My lips are sealed for the time being.


I brought one to work.

I hope the rest of your your week is like rainbow flowers.