What just happened????

Something, my friends, extremely brave.  Intrepid.  Courageous.

I KEPT MY JOB.  Instead of keeping my blog and quitting my job.

Shazaam!  That's real life, isn't it?

This isn't to say that I am done here.  This is to say I haven't had the motivation, energy, time, or balance to blog.  I warned you 2013 would be a slow year here! But I don't intend to shut this all down.  Let's get that out of the way first.  I'm not quitting blogging.  At least, that isn't an official choice I have made.  There certainly is some strange contagion floating around that is making the exit awfully tempting....sayonara to the Queen Bee of Bay Area running bloggers (that is a compliment), Aron!  And Cate!

This is a picture that includes Aron and Cate.  And other lovelies. 

(there really is some correlation with the death of blogs and the death of Google Reader.  I simply haven't found any replacement that interests me, so I'm officially not reading any blogs.  What am I going to snark on now!??)

I understand that I don't have any obligation to blog, and I don't owe anyone an explanation or an apology.  However, I personally do not appreciate when people who I have followed for months or years suddenly drop off the face of the internet earth.  So out of appreciation for all the support, wisdom, straight-talk, love, and occasional hate, I certainly do owe some discussion for why this blog went into hibernation! (And a reminder that it may continue to be quieter here for a period of time....)

Blogging is work.  Barely, but you put in the minutes to write, to find the pictures, to respond to the comments (I admittedly don't always respond to comments).

**It can especially be HARD work to open your email inbox to copy/paste the description from the Running Product (c) that is sponsoring your post for a pretty penny.**  (See the irony here, is that people who blog for a living do the most mindless posting.  Here's a picture of stuff in my purse.  Here's a picture of me sweaty after running.  Here's a picture of Running Product (c).  And us mere hobby bloggers, who deal with a real 40-80 hours of work per week, have to actually come up with the content.  With our brainz.)

For me, blogging is mostly fun, but still, sort of work.  

This past month, I have had to decline any smidgen of extra "work."  Real work has been the S word (stressful) and consuming.  As in, surprise-wake-up-call, you-have-to-work-on-the-Fourth-of-July even-though-you-made-a-lot-of-fun-plans consuming.  But thankfully, I worked hard to earn some play time.  There was a 4-day trip to Austin, Texas in there.  And a fullfilling and rejuvinating camping weekend.

Salt Point State Park.  Oh, the goggles? Yeah, I'm a genius.  I got sick of my eyes burning and pulled these out of my gym bag in the car trunk.  The first use the swim goggles have gotten in a while...

And then of course, wedding planning.  This still mostly involves looking up wedding dresses on the internet.  I've gotten almost....nowhere.  A dress is in the mail on the way.  A real dress, not stun guns.  Oh, inside joke, sorry you wouldn't get it.  I'll explain.  I ordered a dress a while back and instead got stun guns.  It was a hilarious story that I was really proud of until it turned out to just be a UPS mixup.

Just another stupid dress that isn't "the one."

Where to backtrack to....

There is so much that has fleeted in and out of my mind that I have wanted to share and blog about in the past month-plus of barren deadland on

One thing, for instance, is that I need to recap the last race I ran (also over a month ago!).  And as a SuperJane I am contractually obligated to write a recap.

Can someone psychoanalyze why it is that the first time I became obligated to write a blog post is the first time I didn't want to write at all? 

The recap will be short, and I'll get it up next.  All there is to say, really, is that it was a 90 minute blur of dreaming about slurpies and swimming pools.  It was fucking hot.  

So hot that my ipod was just extra weight. 

So hot that I sweated cloud patterns

Rewinding from the June 8 race.  I'll try to catch you up.

You could possibly call the theme of this month+ in running “RoseRunner tries to run in the heat and fails.”  So many hot, hot, unbearably hot runs for one poor little un-acclimated northern California runner who runs all of her runs in perfect 50 degree morning air, or less than perfect 70 degree hot fart gym air.

9 days before the See Jane Run half marathon, I came down with a wimpy strain of the flu. Symptoms included: feeling deadly tired and having no appetite.  For about two days, I ate tiny pathetic meals that are reserved for the people who read Shape/Self/Health magazines (1200 calories a day!) instead of my normal 9 course dinners that would make a Shape reader cry with disgust.

I woke up on the third day, a Saturday, feeling like myself except for the fact that I was under-fueled from being sick.  I nevertheless met up with Jessica in San Jose for a long run (19 miles) on a hot day.

We hit mile 6, and I’ve never felt so depleted on a run ever.  This must be what hitting the wall really feels like.  I simply felt empty.  Note to all runners who are trying to get over the hurdle of a certain distance: it really is about fuelEat a bigger dinner the night before. This has always worked for me to comfortably get through 16-23 mile runs without fail.   That big dinner you are picturing? Even bigger.  Now add 3 pieces of toast.  You're close. 

I bought and chugged a Gatorade, and then felt empty again.  At mile 12, I bought and chugged another Gatorade.  It was so hot.  Hardest run I’ve been on a in a long time, and I conked out on the couch the second I came home for a long nap.  This did not bode well for the half-marathon one week away.

Then Tuesday before the half, I ran 8x400 meter sprints (around 82-84 seconds) because I thought it would wake up my legs for the half.  Nothing notable about this, except that it was only the second time I did ANY track week in the last 6 months, which may not have been wise.  To do right before a race.

The Thursday before the half, I hopped on the treadmill for three, measly, little, half-mile repeats at half-marathon goal pace (6:25-6:29).  I’ve run miles and miles at this pace on the treadmill in the past  few months, so 3 half mile repeats, with a full 1.5 mile relaxing recovery in between, was supposed to feel easy and just a little reminder of the pace I was gunning for in 3 days.

The repeats could not end soon enough.  I had nuthin.  6:25 pace was knocking me out.  Does not bode well for the half marathon!

Aaaand, then the forecast for race day was 80 degree.  Predictable recap to come, I promise.

After SJR, I worked, worked some more, and earned 3 days off for a mini-vacation to Austin Texas! whoa! cool city.  Very, very insanely holy shit kill me now hot.  So humid.

I stayed naked the whole trip, it was truly too hot for clothing 

Torchy's Tacos, thanks for the recommendations! 

I got tore up by bugs (fire ants?) and one of the bites turned into a Harry Potter scar (I never scratched that thing; it was just shaped like this.)

Waiting to watch the bats come out at sunset

Gordoughs donuts.  We ate so, so much in Austin.

I ran outside 3 times while I was there, during which I chugged about 9 gatorades (that's 3 per run geniuses), lost one t-shirt to a garbage can due to it being a completely worthless soaking wet sweat sack, and generally lost more sweat per run than I typically lose per year while running.  All the locals were running like it was normal.  Way too hot to be outside for any reason, running being the stupidest reason of them all.  But oh, those acclimated Austin locals, barely sweating, running 8:00 minute miles to my careful 9:00 minutes.  I was careful. It occurred to me that this was perfect weather to pass out in.

Upon returning to Oakland, land of the hipster (the less-tattoed hipster in comparison to Austin) and perfect weather, I've felt like I can take on anything.  I ran for 3 hours in 80-90 degrees this past weekend, and it was no thang.  Barely even batted an eye. Without humidity, that's like a comfortable breeze.  

Running has of course been happening.  If I flip through my running log, we've missed:

62 miles (May 27-June 1)
56 miles (June 3-9)
77 miles (June 10-16)
91 miles (June 17-23)
93 miles (June 24-30)
74 miles (July 1-6)

Took a little taper thing for the half marathon, and then stopped running hard.  Not running hard makes running volume very easy.  90 miles at 7:30-9:30 paces is definitely an "easy week" compared to 60 miles with some sprints and tempos.

Notable events while running recently include:

  • Stopping for fuel in the middle of a long run by....eating a bunch of cherry plums that were hanging off of a public tree.  
  • Finishing up runs (four times now) by getting the biggest size Slurpee at 7-11, and then run/walking the 3/4 mile home with it.  I get a lot of stares doing this.
  • Falling asleep after running on the weekend.  What is happening this summer?  
You know what, let me just end by saying I apologize for the jumbled post.  I'll try to commit to 1) a SJR recap; 2) a wedding planning recap; and 3) a running/life recap.  This is a peek into all three. 

Publish.  Finally.